Thursday, May 29, 2008

Reasons Why I "Love" NY



This month's edition of why you can't hate the playa, hate the game:

5. The Confidence of a NY Brotha
It doesn't matter if you have chapped lips, a scarf tied around your head, the dowdiest XXL t-shirt or sweatpant capris on, everday, without fail some brotha is going to step to you. They are going to proclaim to the high heavens how fine you are or probably holler out a date invitation on your way home from the bodega, the laundromat, or your neighborhood banking center. I'd like to think it's because I have an unshakeable beauty but it happens to EVERY sister I know rain or shine.

4. Radio Raheem's Free Music Therapy Sessions
If you live on my block, every day from about 2:30-5:30 pm, you can receive a taste of a variety of explicit hip-hop tunes blasting from Radio Raheem's stoop across the street.

3. The Subway
In one train ride you can give money to the homeless, be entertained by a 6 year old flipping through the subway car, have a young White British man ask you for one of the Oreo cookies your eating, help a foreigner find Bed-Stuy("WHERE BIGGIE GREW UP!") on the map, have a group of preteens chuck NERDS candy at you and reach your destination in 30-45min.

2. Crackheads, Starving Artists, and Million Dollar Home owners live in harmony.
Yes, in my neighborhood you can see them all within a 3 block radius.

1. Endless Possibility
Despite everything this is the place where my career dreams can become a reality and where I have met the man that has shown me the deepest love I have ever known.

No comments: