Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Lest We Forget

Sometimes, when I begin to feel run down I hear God's voice whispering for me to open my eyes, take everything and remember. Last week I devoured James McBrides's Song Yet Sung. The language flows like music, the plot gripping and layered. It is powerful. lovely and though-provoking. It took me back to the feeling I had when I stood at the Point of No Return, in L'Maison Des Esclaves at Goree Island in Senegal. I was reminded of the strength of the blood that runs through me. My ancestors SURVIVED so that I could do what I am doing now. In the book, there are details about how a code is passed for slaves to escape to freedom. Black people worked together and risked their lives daily for others to live a better life than they would ever see. It's also filled with bittersweet prophesy. This story, based on true events takes place right in Eastern Shore, MD just across the bay from where I grew up. If you've read it, post a comment and share with me how it made you feel. If you plan to read it, please let me know what you think.

No comments: