Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Doug Varone and Dancers are sweet vanilla pudding...a review of LUX


I've just returned home from the American Dance Festival performance of Ronald K. Brown/Evidence, Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Ensemble and Doug Varone and Dancers. Slightly delirious from teaching at The Governor's School this morning and taking class this afternoon, humming while consuming a late night dosage of Veggie Chips and Pomegranate Blueberry Juice, my brother yelling GO TO BED!, I am so inspired I HAVE to write.
For years I have been a hard core fan of Evidence and have great respect for what Cleo Parker Robinson has done, but tonight I am gushing over Varone's piece LUX.
This piece is a delicious swirling delight. The choreography never stops and his dancers move like pudding. They move with such ease and precision; they are soft, circular, gallant and direct. The work is so complex, so layered, the timing of the dancers demands perfection, otherwise it would all fall apart. Not only are they working hard but they are loving it. I love to watch dancers who are eating up the moment, reveling in it, so inside of the process, and present with every breath. Doug Varone and Dancers where have you been all my life?

No comments: